Meteorologist John Wetherbee shares the following tips for hurricane preparedness.
Five Ps For Hurricane Preparedness
- Protect Life and Property
- Make Provisions
- Make Plans
- Follow the Predictions
When A Hurricane Watch Is Issued
- Select Evacuation Locations. Identify where you will go if an evacuation is announced. Choose several destinations such as a friend's home in another city, a hotel or a shelter. Notify neighbors and family of evacuation plans.
- Listen For News. Listen to Gold Carolina (93.9 in Myrtle Beach, 93.7 in Georgetown, 106.3 in Brunswick Co and Wilmington) or a NOAA weather radio for weather updates and evacuation notices.
- Make A Disaster Supply Kit.
- Local map, which may be needed during an evacuation if roads are closed or congested
- Address and phone number for evacuation locations
- First aid kit and medication
- Food and water, including three gallons of bottled water per individual
- Documents, including your driver's license, Social Security card, insurance policies, birth certificate, marriage certificate, will, deeds and tax records. Store these documents in a waterproof container.
- Flashlight and battery-operated radio with extra batteries
When A Hurricane Warning Is Issued
- Monitor The News.
- Complete Preparation Activities. Install storm shutters. Secure loose property. Disconnect utilities if instructed to do so. Check your disaster supply kit and add any items that are missing.
- Stay Indoors, Away From Windows.
- Check On Elderly or Disabled Neighbors.
- Evacuate When Instructed. Evacuate immediately if you live in a mobile home, flood zone or on the coast or a barrier island.
For More Information
Local and National Resources